Welcome to The Diocese of Chilaw
John 10:27-30 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. I and my Father are one.
BISHOP’S MONTHLY LETTER –May 2017
My dear Rev. Fathers, Sisters and Brothers
- Month of May brings to mind the beautiful feast of the Holy Rosary. Our people take part in the May Novenas with great devotion. It is our pastoral duty as Priests and Religious to promote Marian Devotion. Mary is the Mother of the Church and the Mother of the families. We should constantly remind the people of the importance of the Family Rosary, a practice which seems to be gradually fading away.
- In view of the Year of St. Joseph Vaz certain hand-outs have been prepared. They will be distributed in parishes. A booklet on the life of St. Joseph Vaz has been prepared keeping in mind specially the Advanced Level students. The possibility of the children receiving this literature into their hands depends largely on your interest to do it.
- We experienced the sad death of Fr. Michael Lusena last month. He was 81 years of age at the time of passing away. A special note of thanks to Rev. Sr. Superior and the Sisters at Lansigama for looking after Fr. Lusena during the years of infirmity. I am also thankful to the Fathers who visited Fr. Lusena during the evening of his life. His Lordship Bishop Vianney Fernando was present for the funeral service of Fr. Lusena. We greatly appreciate this gesture of goodwill of His
- The new Church at Dostarawatta in Kandathoduwawa Parish was blessed last month. The beautiful little church has been built with the support of the parishioners and well-wishers. My thanks to Fr. Sunil Shantha for the effort taken to complete this project which was initiated by his predecessors
- The Centenary Celebration of the apparitions of Fatima will be held at the diocesan level at Fatima Church, Mudukatuwa on the 13th May. The event will be jointly organized by the Diocesan Director of the Legion of Mary and the Parish Priest of Mudukatuwa. You are cordially invited at 4. 00 p.m. to Mudukatuwa which will begin with the recitation of the Rosary.
- The Confirmations will begin this month. I wish to remind you to give the children a sound preparation. It is important to get special Resource Persons to talk to them on topics of importance considering the challenges the young people are facing today. As you could understand this is a golden opportunity we have every year to prepare them for Adult Christian Life. Let us not forget to make the maximum advantage.
- I wish to keep you informed of a transfer which will take effect from 01 May. Fr. Sunil Wijesinghe will be the Parish Priest of Kirimatiyana. Fr. Marius Shelton will reside at St. Mary’s Church, Thambarawila.
Asking the Lord to Bless you.
Yours devotedly in Christ,
+D. Valence Mendis,
Bishop of Chilaw
Psalm Sunday Celebration